Kenilworth School
Back

Art

Department Vision and Mission Statements

 “Nobody else can make anybody else learn anything. You cannot make them. Any more than if you are a gardener you can make flowers grow, you don’t make the flowers grow. You don’t sit there and stick the petals on and put the leaves on and paint it. You don’t do that. The flower grows itself. Your job, if you are any good at it, is to provide the optimum conditions for it to do that, to allow it to grow itself.” 

Sir Ken Robinson

 

Our Vision

As a department, we aim to play our part in the holistic development of the student by providing opportunities for creative learning through the enquiry, exploration, investigation and experimentation of ideas, concepts, themes and cultures. We want to provide a valuable and unique educational experience, which develops creative problems solving skills and strengthens cognitive functioning to provide key skills for the future, promoting a love for Art and for learning that can be translated into any future career path.

 

Our Mission

As a department, our mission is to introduce students to a wide range of artistic media to build practical artistic skills and build conceptual understanding through the study of artists and designers. As students progress, they will be encouraged to excel, ensuring work produced is contemporary and varied.

We have a key responsibility to raise the profile of the creative industries as an available vocational pathway and to support further educational and professional aspirations by furnishing them with the necessary skills, experiences and qualifications to take the next step studying Art based subject at FE or HE.

We intend to raise the profile of the department within the school and in the local community, liaising with local businesses, charities and groups to create links for students, staff and parents.

As a department we must also promote the use of good literacy skills across the department as part of a whole-school literacy programme.

Key Stage 3

Aims:

  1. To develop the students’ skills in researching and responding to ideas and concepts from other artists, times and cultures.
  2. To develop the students’ skills in critical understanding, analysis and evaluation.
  3. To develop the students’ skills with a variety of techniques and media.
  4. To develop the students’ confidence through exploration and self-expression of ideas, values, concepts and beliefs.

Project Overview
Each term the students complete a culture-based project or a theme based project with a 3D final outcome for one of these projects. There are three projects per year. Through the research and response to study of individual formal elements, students develop their skills with media and will be able to use art-specific language. By the end of Key Stage 3 students should have a well-developed understanding and working knowledge of the Formal Elements, as well as a developed foundation of skills with artistic media and techniques. This includes working in ceramics, printmaking and digital media.

GCSE Art

Key stage 4 is delivered at the Leyes Lane main school site in a series of Art classrooms. Our facilities include a dedicated ICT suit, printing press, potters wheel and kiln, as well as necessary art equipment needed to complete a successful GCSE. We also provide packs that students can purchase, to ensure that they have the necessary equipment at home.


The two options:

1.      Fine Art

2.      Graphic Communication

 

Due to the high practical workload involved, it is not possible to study more than one of these subjects simultaneously. Both courses consist of two elements; the coursework unit, which is worth 60% of the final grade and the exam unit, which makes up the remaining 40% of the overall grade.

Fine Art (A-Level)

Theme-based projects using traditional 2D and 3D media and techniques to explore artistic enquiry and expression. A dedicated ‘drawing project’ that allows students to develop observation skills and suits the new focus from exam boards for the importance of drawing in GCSE art.